Monday, March 31, 2008

Crotch Critters. . .

I wrote a whole post about my son's poop a couple days ago. How it's evolving in many ways. I wrote it and I read it over, it was pretty good. I wondered about how Skippy Jr. would like me telling the world about his poop. Then I thought, "if he doesn't want me to talk about his poop, what about the people reading? Do they want to know about his poop?"

So I deleted it and started over.

Why do we as parent talk so much about our kid's poop? Of all the things that gross us out about our kids, isn't poop the worst part? Do we consider the fact that we've been exposed to it a badge of honor?

While I'm on the subject of poop, what the hell is Elmo doing in my son's crotch? You can't see it, but cookie monster is also coming out of his ass. I love the Muppets. If I had to pick the biggest influences in my young life they would be in the top 5. However I find it terribly disturbing that Pampers would specifically design their diapers to have furry monsters peeking around the corner as if emerging from my son's nether regions.

Why do they print characters on diapers so small anyway? Granted the size diapers he's in now will cover him up to 22 lbs and he'll be in them for quite some time (unless he keeps growing at the rate he is), I've never seen him look at his diaper, so the smaller sizes definitely didn't need it. Is it there to make the diapers more pleasant for the the parents? Does putting Winnie-the-Pooh on a diaper make you ignore the poo inside? Why Huggies, why would you put a character named "Pooh" on diapers?! Is a diaper really the best place to be marketing for children's characters?!

Sorry, got a little carried away there. I probably should have stuck with talking about my son's poop.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

My issues with the "crotch critter" are that if they're wearing anything thin or light colored you can see the "critters" through their clothes. Or if you want to do pictures in their diapers you have to buy a diaper cover to cover up the print on the disposable. Why can't diapers just be white?

Beth said...

Personally, I LOVE the Sesame Street Cruiser diapers. I just find them to be so cute and they make me smile. :) Strange but true. Guess they're marketing them for moms just like me!

Your son is adorable!

MB said...

About once a month I write Pampers and beg for PLAIN WHITE DIAPERS. I hate the marketing that is pervasive in society!

Anonymous said...

I was cracking up reading this. ha ha. My husband and I use to joke about crotch critters when Carter was little. Peyton isn't even in 3's yet. He is in the 2-3 swaddlers and they are even big. He has a tiny hiney.LOL I can't get over Parkers chunker legs. I just love baby rolls.

Amy

Janice said...

I know what you mean about the diapers. Why cant they just make them normal. lol

Byrce is in 3's now. He is quite the little ham.

caramama said...

I would really prefer plain white diapers. You'd think there are enough of us out there that they'd provide some!

And why are there any characters on Overnight diapers? They are sleeping in them! Totally not needed.

~Joe said...

did anyone else notice the gesture elmos making....I guess I just have a sick mind.

Anonymous said...

Plain diapers do exist. We use Seventh Generation diapers...no crotch critters and they are chlorine free! Unfortunately they just cost a little more.