Monday, March 24, 2008

bummer. . .

My lovely wife was off work for her last day of spring break today. So she thought it would be fun to bring lunch and a baby to me at work. It's Parker's 4th time coming to my office. I love walking him around showing him off to people. I'm in a mostly female office environment so there's lots of oohs and aahs.

Then something happened that caught me by surprise. I walked them out to the car and put the little guy in his car seat base. I did my normal kissing goodbye to him and my wife. And for some reason, though I just spent 4 days with them, I started getting a little choked up walking back in the building and to my office.

I guess I realize that, though work provides me with some time away and an outlet doing something I love, I really hate being away from the people I love. Not just Skippy Jr., but my wife too. We have one of those weird relationships where the longer we're together the better we get along. We only fight once we are spending good chunks away from each other.

The moms reading this will relate, but I'm not a mom. I'm a dad who is profoundly sad when he says goodbye to his wife and kid. I've come back to my desk, and have no interest in what I'd doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is the same way. If he could he would stay home with us all the time. I can't tell you how many times he leaves with a frown on his face because he has to leave us and go to work. He tells me all the time how much he misses us while he is at work. It is really hard on him when Carter say's "no daddy no go to work, stay and play with me". Tears him up every time.

Amy

~Joe said...

aw how sweet,I love vacation time,its the 3 day weekends I can handle for some reason :P

~Joe said...

cant*

caramama said...

If it helps to know, my husband feels the same way!