Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's Alive!. . .

I've said it before I'll say it again. Parenting—at east in this early stage—is all about but bodily fluids and sleep. The kid has too much of the former and all involved have too little of the latter.

Mostly we've been lucky on the sleep thing. Skippy Jr. started sleeping for 6 hours at a time Christmas Eve. We put him to bed anytime after 10:00 p.m. and he wakes up between 4:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. That's not a bad deal compared to the 2-hour stretches when he first came home. We really have nothing to complain about his nighttime sleeping.

But his daytime sleeping. . . between Christmas and New Year we were out and about so much, and he spent a lot of time sleeping in the arms of grandmas, aunts, and other various relatives, that now he won't sleep by himself during the day. We're creating a monster!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie....I wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog. That was very sweet of you. I just need to shake this funk I am in. I promise I won't be gone for too long. I plan on talking to Peyton's pedi about his sleep habbits and see what she says.

That is awesome that Parker is giving you 6 hours at night. Peyton is still up every 3 hours....sigh, but I keep telling myself he won't be this little forever. My first DS didn't start sleeping well till he was 5 mo old. He just was never satisfied and needed solids to fill his belly. I am sure Peyton is going to be the same way.

Just to give you some reassurance my first DS wanted to be swaddled till he was over 6 mo old. I thought he would never give it up and he would be a 2 yr old sleeping like a mummy.LOL but we eventually got him use to it without it. If you are ready to wean him just start leaving one arm out for a week and then leave the other out for a week or as long as it takes for him to get use to the feeling. By 3 mo the morrow reflex starts dwindling, so they won't be so jiddery.

We have been slowly starting to get Peyton use to napping in his crib. He would only sleep in his swing during the day, but there was to much noise in the living room and he was having a hard time staying alseep. We also tried naps without swaddling but as soon as an arm would move he was up and crying. So we started swaddeling him for naps and putting him in his crib. I don't think he realizes that bed=sleep. So hopefully that will click soon.

O.k. well I rattled your ear off now. I take Peyton to the pedi on the 18th so hopefully I will be back to posting after that. I have a feeling his is about 14lbs already. The lil chunker.LOL

Take care

Amy