Sunday, January 13, 2008

Did we drop you?. . .

My wife and I have learned our sons habits, his likes and dislikes. We know for instance that there is a certain way he likes being held—on his side with his head in your armpit and body across your chest, pacifier in mouth. So how do you jump in and tell the woman who raised you that this is what he wants when he's crying. I mean she's my mom, she raised me and I turned out OK. I can't tell her how to sooth a baby, she raised 4 kids for God's sake!


Our new swaddling blanket. I took an old sheet from my old twin bed that is made from jersey cotton. . . you know those t-shirt sheets. Cut it in half, had my mom sew it folded together, and that is what we use to swaddle the little man. The material is so stretchy. and the blanket is so much wider, I can wrap Skippy Jr. up like a mummy. He sleep so well in it. He loves being wrapped up now.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Bryce likes to be held on his side with him head in my armpit as well. I know what you mean about grandmas thinking that they know what your baby needs. I deal with it too.

I'm Not Skippy said...

Don't get me wrong, I believe grandma knows much better than me what a baby needs. I bow to her superior knowledge. I just happen to know bits and pieces, I just feel unworthy to tell her how to calm our particular baby down.

Unknown said...

There is not just one single solution to a single problem, even when it comes to babies. They react differently with different people and settings. Just keep that in mind. It may be the best when with you, but it may work another way for another person. Take it from someone who gets told by teachers there is only one way to do ti when my way ends up working just as well sometimes.

Anonymous said...

You could just make a suggestion if you are there and see him crying....like if we hold him this way he settles right down. That way it is not you telling her how to calm your baby down.

I may have to go to the fabric store to get a yard of material because Peyton is growing out of his swaddle. I did it with Carter too and you are right stretchy material make the best swaddeling blankets.:)

I'm Not Skippy said...

Yes get the Jersey T for a swaddling blanket. The only issue is it's not fire retardant. But it's so stretchy and fits him really well.