Monday, October 1, 2007

1's and 2's for the 1's and 2's. . .


One of my concerns with becoming a parent has been about music. I think my wife and I have good taste in music, and I have a hearty appreciation of music that I don't even like much (zydeco, blue grass, indian, japanese pop, etc.). I grew up watching a lot Looney Tunes and anyone who grew up doing that can sing or whistle many classical pieces without second thought. . . I was lucky that I joined band—and later orchestra—where I learned what these pieces were. I also learned a lot of jazz standards this way.

So one of my "things" has been finding music for the kid to listen to.

I've come across a few good sources. . .
  • Rock-a-bye Baby: Music box versions of popular bands including Metallica, Tool, The Cure, U2, Bob Marley, Green Day, Nirvana, No Doubt, and many more.
  • Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child: A weekly, 2-hour radio show out of Northampton, Mass. that rebroadcasts as a podcast. Hosted by a lawyer and his daughter Ella. Things like They Might Be Giants, the Hip Waiters, Opus Ditty, Gorillaz; some recorded specifically for kids, some just music that is kid appropriate.
  • Sounds in My Head: specifically for kids (and some not at all), but a good free music podcast to get some ideas of kid friendly music.
  • Ritmo Latino: Spanish language music from Germany and originally broadcast in Guam. . . don't ask. With an increased focus on teaching Spanish to children at a young age, this podcast has some great sounding music. Can teach different culture sounds and get them used to the sounds of the Spanish language.

So not all children's music, but good music for children or parents, and all but the first are free.

If nothing else it gives me hope that maybe the little monkey will grow up to have some decent taste in music. Short of that it's music that doesn't come out of a purple dinosaur or from those four freaks from down-under.

2 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Great links...thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Another great one is by Kenny Loggins. It was a life saver for me and my son. He just loved listening to it before he went to sleep. WE would have his last bottle in his room, turn down the lights and play that CD. It is called "Return to Pooh Corner". I buy it for all my friends who have babies. It is a very calming and relaxing CD. I reccommend it.