Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The choking kind. . .

Last night I got a horrible scare. I arrived home and started making dinner. Skippy Jr. was wandering around with his snack trap eating goldfish crackers. My wife had left us alone to go to the bathroom. Skippy Jr. was hanging onto my leg while I was preparing dinner (he likes me to lift him up so he can see) and was whining that he wanted up.

The whining sound suddenly sounded. . . well soundless actually. He started having trouble breathing. He tried to cry but he couldn't. He was choking on a goldfish. The combination of whining and looking up at me while trying to eat made one of his crackers to fall down his throat.

I don't know which of us was freaked out more. I yelled for my wife (she never heard me) and thrust me finger down his throat to see if I could sweep it out. I felt it, but it was too far in to sweep out. I started trying different combinations of squeezing him around the belly and slapping him on the back. After that and one more sweep down his throat the goldfish became dislodged (I think it went down instead of up).

And what was the first thing he did after he was breathing normally again?

He signed "more" and pointed at the snack trap that I had moved to the counter.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

how scary! glad he's all right!

Amy Anderson said...

OMG, that made my heart race. How scary!

I'm Not Skippy said...

I wish I could describe the sound better here. I can imitate it but it's hard to describe. It was raspy and just awful.

Anonymous said...

OMG how scary. I am so glad he is o.k. I hope you are never in this situation again, but if you are...turn him upside down (with your thumb and your middle finger under his chin) and draped over your knee and slap with your palm between his shoulder blades. That is how my hubby taught me to do if either of the boys ever started choking. ((HUGS))

Amy