Monday, May 26, 2008

Best bath ever. . .

There comes a time in every boy's life where he makes a great discovery. . . his penis. Our little monkey has made that discovery, at least sort of. He's taken to grabbing it in the bathtub. I don't think he knows what it is, or looks like, he just knows it's something to hold on to. I couldn't be more proud.

My wife couldn't be more grossed out.

So we — or rather she — have decided he needs new bathtub toys. So off to Target we went looking for new bath toys. I wanted the little puffer fish that came with the basketball net so he could chew on them now and makes baskets when he got older. . . my wife wanted the assorted rubber sea life toys.

Home we went, with our assorted sea animals in hand, ready for a fun bath night.

Or so we thought.

The first bath we introduced them too fast and he screamed. This story ultimately is not about that night, it's about the second night. So after a day of family fun we came home and my wife crashed on the couch while I took care of the little monkey. It was turning into bathtime and she was sleeping so soundly I decided to bathe him myself. After a few minutes I introduced the blue whale toy. No squirting, just him and the whale on his terms.

He liked it. He chewed on the parts he could, he examined it, it was a success. So I gave him the sea horse. He liked it at first. . . then I noticed that the sea horse had a bubble coming out of his mouth. I thought "oh he must have water in him, I should get it out." So I squeezed the sea horse and new toy smelling air sot out making a slight hissing noise.

And then it happened. My son got scared and his first instinct was to reach out to me to hold him. Even to the point that he tried to climb out of the tub to reach me. He was scarred and he wanted his daddy to protect him from the scary sea monsters.

I loved that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww poor little thing. It is funny how little things like that scare them. I bet he was happy to have daddy there to rescue him.

I remmeber the first time Carter found his penis. He still doesn't leave it alone and from what I have gathered, they never do.LOL Peyton has yet to find his.

I have to get some new bath toys for the boys. It is so nice now to be able to give them a bath together. Makes life a bit easier at night. I can't wait till I can get them into bed at the same time. That will be heaven.

Amy

caramama said...

That is something, isn't it? Even soaking wet, I will hold my little one when she reaches for me like that! How can you resist?