Friday, May 11, 2007

To know or not to know. . .


Our next doctor visit brings with it a big question: "do we want to test for diseases like Down's Syndrome or Spina Bifida?" I know I joked in a couple earlier posts about having a one-armed mongoloid. Do you think that will bring us some bad juju?

Anyway, it's a tough decision. On one hand it'd be good to know to prepare for whatever problems arise. On the other hand is knowing really that great, would the amazement of having a baby distract us from the baby having a problem? And from what I understand the test isn't 100% accurate unless is a negative. So if it's a positive then it's only a chance that there's a problem. What kind of test is that? It'd be the twin thing all over again.

If anyone reading this had or didn't have the test done, please let me know what you decided and why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off I want to say I like your page. It is so fun the way you have it done.

We opted to the quad screen to kind of get us prepared incase something did come up. We did it with our first son and that came back negative, so it didn't even dawn on us that something could come up. I have talked with some women on pregnancy boards and so many women came back saying that they had false positives as well. There are so many things that can cause these tests to go wacky on you. For instance your due date could be off, your baby is measuring ahead, or just plain test failed. The only way they can be 100% is thru amnio but that can come with some complications. I hope that your u/s goes well and the baby looks healthy. I will check back to see how it went. ;)

Amy